Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Creatures

Just thought I would share some pictures with you of some of the creatures we see around our house. We live in a rural area with abundant wildlife and insect life. For example the other day I was driving down our street and a Cougar (Mountain Lion) walked across the street in front of my car. I stopped and turned to look at him. He stopped and stared as if to say "what are you looking at lady." Pretty cool. We have a lot of snakes, spiders, scorpions, lizards and giant centipedes many of which are poisionous. Fun! Below are some of the not as deadly creatures around us.

Here is a pictures of one of the bats we discovered that were sucking from our Humming Bird feeder at night. We think they are the "Lesser Long nose" mexican bats.









Here is a picture of the spider I saw on our rosemary bush today. It is a female Banded Argiope or (Argiope trifasciata) Not to uncommon but very large and colorful none the less. It was about the length of my index finger if you were to measure from leg tip to opposite leg tip. It was busy wrapping up and eating an ant while I watched. The whimpy male spider I discovered later is about 1/3 the size and just plain brownish, he hangs out on the perimiter of the web. My picture of both spiders is harder to see. I am pretty proud of how this picture turned out. If you would like to pay me $5000 to use it in your magazine post a message.










Here is a picture of a giant moth. We get these hanging out on our porch quite often, this one was one of the smaller we have seen. It was bigger than my hand.









Here is a picture of a giant stick bug these are so cool and almost too amazing to belive. The
hand in the picture is my 10 yr old son's to get a perspective.

(All pictures in this blog are copyrighted by the blog owner and cannot be copied or used without a large cash payment. At least enough to buy plane tickets to China for 4 people)